This licence allows the sale and delivery of alcohol for drinking off the premises and the supply of complimentary samples of alcohol on the premises, e.g. bottle stores, supermarkets and remote web-based sales.

Some hotels and taverns may hold both an off-licence and on-licence.

Apply for an off-licence

Download and complete an off-licence application form [PDF, 998KB](external link). Off-licences are issued for one year (a probation year) and then normally renewed for three years.

All alcohol licence applications require a Certificate of Compliance(external link) for the premises. You must include this with your application.

View our handy (external link)step-by-step guide(external link) to getting an alcohol licence and check for any practice notes(external link) that apply to your application to make sure you've got everything covered.

Please read the checklist on the form to make sure you include all the extra documents we need with your application. Incomplete applications will be returned.

This application needs a lodgement meeting and cannot be submitted online.

View the working days specified in the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act that could affect application processing times. If your application is complete, there are no objections and all building requirements are met, off-licences can normally be processed within four to six weeks.

Payment of fees

View alcohol licensing fees. The fees for processing your application are non-refundable and must be paid when you apply for your licence. Most alcohol licensing fees are set by regulations. Any fees set by Council are subject to annual review with any changes taking effect on 1 July each year.

You will need to have an invoice from us before you can make your payment. This will be provided to you when you file your application documents. We can only process your applications once we have both the proof of payment of fees and the required application form and documents.

Payments can be made by cash or EFTPOS/credit card at a service desk or by internet banking. Internet banking payment account and reference details can be found on your invoice. For internet banking, you will need to provide proof of payment that includes confirmation of the payment details (e.g. a screenshot of the completed transaction). 

Please note that we can no longer accept payments by cheque.

Lodgement meeting

New licence applications are received through a lodgement meeting. You will need to make an appointment with an inspector to lodge your new licence application.

Grocery stores

If your application is for a grocery store you will also need to demonstrate that your premises are trading as a grocery store by providing a statement of details of annual sales revenue for your new [DOCX, 29 KB] or existing [DOCX, 30 KB] business for analysis.

This form is required for new and renewal applications. Please complete and attach to your new/renewal application form when sending it to us.

Bottle stores

If your application is for a bottle store you will also need to demonstrate that your premises meet the requirements under the Act for this type of licence.

You will need to confirm that 85% of your revenue is from the sale of alcohol.  If this is unclear you may be asked to provide a statement of details of annual sales revenue for your new [DOCX, 20 KB] or existing [DOCX, 20 KB] business analysis.

This form is required for new and renewal applications. Please complete and attach to your new/renewal application form when sending it to us.

Remote sales requirements – for all internet, phone, or mail-order sales

New requirements for selling alcohol using the internet (web page), telephone or by mail order [PDF, 48 KB]came into force in December 2013.  These are all classified as "Remote Sales."

These requirements (must be complied with as part of licence conditions) and apply to premises that:

  • hold an off-licence endorsed under section 40 for remote sales only (i.e. no direct sales); and
  • hold a general off-licence but also have an internet (web) site, or catalogue for phone/mail-order sales

Note: In most instances, the alcohol is stored at a different location. The warehouse storage and distribution sites (for dispatch of deliveries) is usually separately located in a commercial or industrial area and is not required to be displayed on the licence.

Further information

You can now complete and submit Notice of Duty Manager Appointment/Change form online. 

These documents and links give more information about applying for and holding an off-licence: