You could get a rates reduction as part of the Government's rate rebate scheme to provide assistance towards rates for low income earners.
In 2016/17, the maximum allowable rebate is $610.00.
The amount of rebate depends on a combination of your income, the amount of rates you are charged, and the number of dependents you have. Income is based on the tax year (i.e. ending 31 March). It includes your spouse's income but does not include the following:
- Disability allowance
- Cash grants/capital payments
- War widow’s or war disablement benefits
- Medal or honour payments
- Grants for funeral expenses
- Prizes and winnings
- Family support
A rates rebate can be applied for at any time during the rating year you are applying for, but the rebate can not be back-dated to previous rating years.
Download and complete a rates rebate application form [PDF 386KB]
Rate rebate eligibility
To qualify for a rates rebate:
- you must be living in the property as at the start of the rating year (1 July), and
- your name must be on the rates bill.
Eligibility is based on a calculation, and you may be eligible for some amount even if your income is too high to qualify for a full rebate. For example:
- Households with a total income of $25,000 or less will in most cases be entitled to the full $610 rebate.
- Households paying an average rates bill of around $2,300 will still be entitled to some rebate if their income is $36,000.
- Households paying $4,000 in rates will still be entitled to some rebate if their income is $45,000.
To find out if you may qualify, you can visit one of our service desks , telephone our Call Centre on 0800 800 169, or use the on-line calculator at the Department of Internal Affairs website.
Apply for a rates rebate
Booking for an appointment is no longer required, please take your completed application to our of our service desks.
Note: Lunch times are usually busy you may experience a delay at this time of day.
You will need to bring:
- A completed application form [PDF 386KB]. You can also pick up an application form at one of our Council service centres or libraries, or phone us on (03) 941 8999 or 0800 800 169 and we will post a form to you. Get an authorised person to sign the form (see details on the application form).
- A copy of your current rates account
- Relevant information including total income for the tax year 1 April 2015 to 30 March 2016.
An incomplete form may not be accepted, please complete in full.