All premises that are involved in the manufacturer, preparation, storage or sale of food, such as cafes and restaurants, must be registered with Christchurch City Council.

If you wish to make a complaint about a registered food premises, please contact us on 03 941 8999 or email

Notice of registration

All premises that provide food must have a valid Notice of Registration.

Food licences for fundraising

Guidelines for running your sausage sizzle or cake stall safely.

Food safety

Guides to setting up a new food business and general food safety information.

Grease and oil traps

Cafes, restaurants and food businesses must ensure that they have an approved appropriately sized grease/oil trap.

Trade waste permits for cafes and restaurants

All café, restaurants and food/hospitality businesses need to be registered and permitted to connect and to discharge into the water, waste and sewage network.