It is your responsibility to make sure you apply to renew your manager's certificate before it expires. If your certificate expires you will need to apply for a new manager's certificate.

Renew your Manager's Certificate

Download and complete a Manager's Certificate (renewal) application form [PDF, 233KB](external link) before you apply

Please ensure you have read and understood the privacy statement, signed and dated your application. 

Renewal application questionnaire

Along with your application form, you will also need to complete and attach a renewal questionnaire [PDF, 5 KB].

If your records are on file within the Christchurch District you will be sent a renewal application form, questionnaire, and invoice before your certificate expires. This will be sent to the last postal address the Council’s Alcohol Licensing Team has for you. If you have not received your renewal invoice and questionnaire, please contact Alcohol licensing for a copy. 

It is your responsibility to make sure your renewal application (which must also include the completed questionnaire and fee payment) is received on time.

You must be currently employed and working at a licenced premise or actively looking for work in the industry (e.g. temporarily in between jobs)

Working as a Duty Manager: Separate from your certificate renewal, please double-check with your employer that they have maintained a record of your Duty Manager appointment(external link) for your place of work.

Renewal period and expiry of manager's certificates

Your manager's certificate cannot be renewed after it has expired. If your certificate expires, you will need to apply for a new one and your application will be dealt with as a new application. Note: All application fees are non-refundable.

If you have received a conviction since your manager's certificate was last renewed or issued, the Alcohol Licensing Inspector and Police may require a shortened renewal period and/or a suspension of your licence.

Payment of fees

The fees for processing your application are non-refundable and must be paid when you apply for your licence. Refer to the alcohol licence fees for all fees and any other charges related to alcohol licensing.

Most fees are set by regulations. However, any fees set by Council may be subject to annual review and any changes take effect on 1 July each year.

You will need to have an invoice from us before you can make your payment.  This is posted to you two months before the due date. For those who are transferring their certificate renewal to us from another Council area, you will be issued your invoice when you submit your application form and documents with us. 

Payments can be made by cash, EFTPOS or credit card at a service desk or by Internet banking.  Internet banking payment account and reference details can be found on your invoice. 

We no longer accept payments by cheque.

For internet banking, you will need to provide proof of payment that includes confirmation of the payment details (e.g. a screenshot of the completed transaction).

We can only process your applications once we have both the proof of payment of fees and the required application form and documents.

LCQ certificates issued before January 2014 – Bridging Test no longer available

If you are currently renewing your manager's certificate for the first time under the 2012 Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act, or are currently on a Limited Interim Renewal Certificate, you need to have already completed the Bridging Test by December 2016. 

The accepted prescribed qualifications are listed in the Sale and Supply of Alcohol, Act Regulations s23. The Service IQ Bridging Test was only offered as a course until January 2017 and is no longer available. If you have not completed the Bridging Test you will have to complete a new LCQ course in full.

They will still be offering the new LQC under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol  Act 2012. Any questions about the Bridging Test or LCQ should be made directly to Service IQ (external link)at 0800 863 693.