Before applying for a manager’s certificate you must have attended and passed an alcohol licensing course. You must then apply for a License Controller Qualification (LCQ) certificate.

Attending a course

LCQ course must be provided by a recognised training provider which offers New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) unit standards 4646 and 16705. These unit standards are under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.

LCQ courses and certificates completed under the Sale of Liquor Act 1989 can no longer be accepted.  

Recognised LCQ course providers within Christchurch:

Applying for your LCQ document

When you have completed a LCQ training course that references the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 and passed the required units you can apply to ServiceIQ (previously known as the Hospitality Standards Institute) for your document.

You will need to send them evidence that you have:

  • passeded NZQA unit standards 4646 and 16705, or
  • successfully completed the LCQ bridging test prior to February 2017.

You will also need to have paid the prescribed fee of $20 (most training providers send this on your behalf).

Service IQ will post the LCQ document directly to you as the applicant.

Contact Service IQ 0800 863 693 or email

LCQ certificates issued before January 2014 - Bridging Test

If you hold an LCQ certificate that references the Sale of Liquor Act 1989 obtained prior to January 2014, you will need to update it to reference the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.

This was previously achieved by completing a Bridging Test provided by Service IQ, but is no longer available as of 1 February 2017.

You will now have to attend a LCQ course that references the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012, pass the required units and apply for a new LCQ Certificate from Service IQ(external link).

No Managers Certificate application will be accepted without the above requirement being met.