To check if a lost dog is being held with the Council, you can visit our dog shelter:
Contact Animal Shelter
Address: 10 Metro Place, Bromley, Christchurch.
Phone: 03 941 7048 to make an appointment between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
The Council's Animal Shelter public opening hours:
- Monday to Friday, 1pm to 5pm
- Monday to Friday, 5pm to 5.30pm by appointment only
- Saturdays from 9am to 1pm to collect dogs by appointment only
- Closed Sunday and public holidays
If you have lost your dog, you can also try:
- Pets on the Net:(external link) the SPCA(external link)'s authorised lost and found website. Or phone 03 349 7057 between 10am and 4pm, Monday to Saturday.
- Dogwatch(external link).
- Social media and other websites offering a service for lost and found dogs.
Found dogs are held at the Council's animal shelter.
The law requires all impounded dogs to be held for at least seven days while the Council attempts to contact the dog's owner, or the owner contacts the Council.
After the seventh day, if the owner has not claimed the dog, the Council assumes legal responsibility and ownership of the dog. If an impounded dog is sick or injured, the Council will immediately seek veterinary advice.
Owners of claimed dogs are required to pay registration and impounding fees including food.