A certificate for public use is issued by the Council where it is satisfied the premises are safe for members of the public to use, before a code compliance certificate is issued. It specifically applies to ongoing construction work.

You must have a certificate for public use if the public are to have access to all or parts of the building (either during construction or on completion) before a code compliance certificate is issued. Anyone who owns, occupies or controls premises intended for public use may apply for a certificate for public use.

Issuing a certificate for public use

The Council will issue a certificate for public use (Form 16) only if it is satisfied that members of the public can use the premises safely. This is likely to involve an inspection.

The four basic principles of a CPU requirement are:

  1. Premises are intended to be open to the public whether by charge or no charge.
  2. The public must be able to enter without passing by or through the building work.
  3. The building site and any tools or material must not be accessible to the public.
  4. The public must not be able to access any part of the premises where the structural integrity is compromised by the work, or where the public safety is jeopardised.

Certificates for public use do not relieve you, as owner of a building, from the obligation to apply for a code compliance certificate after all the building work has been carried out.

To apply, complete an  Application for a certificate for public use [PDF, 323 KB] (Form 15 B-013) also available in Word [DOCX, 375 KB], then submit the application form, with supporting documents and the application fee.

Once your application is completed, an inspection is arranged between the applicant and a Council building inspection officer.


Refer to the Building Consents Fee Schedule for further information.

Please note that where the cost to process a certificate for public use exceeds the scheduled fee then additional time will be charged at the relevant officer charge out rate.