If you don't receive any voting papers, you can request a special vote. There are many reasons you could cast a special vote, including:
- your name does not appear on the final electoral roll, but you qualify as an elector
- you have chosen to put your name on the unpublished (confidential) roll
- you have moved since the electoral roll was compiled (and have lived at your new residential address for one month or more)
- you spoilt, lost or did not receive your ordinary voting document
- you will be away from your residential address during the voting period
- you are eligible to vote for some positions in the elections as a ratepayer elector (for a property you own but do not live in)
You will need to complete a statutory declaration when you cast a special vote. This is a legal requirement to protect voters against possible duplicate voting. The statutory declaration will be provided to the person casting a special vote, along with a special voting paper and candidate information booklet.
Where can I get my special voting documents?
Special voting documents will be available Monday to Friday from Friday 20 September 2019 until Friday 11 October, at the following locations and times. All locations are accessible.
- Akaroa Service Centre, 78 Rue Lavaud, Akaroa (9am–5pm)
- Beckenham Service Centre, 66 Colombo Street, Beckenham (9am–5pm)
- Christchurch City Council Civic Offices, 53 Hereford Street (9am–5pm)
- Fendalton Service Centre, corner of Clyde and Jeffreys roads, Fendalton (9am–5pm)
- Linwood Service Centre, Eastgate Mall, first floor, Corner Buckleys Road and Linwood Avenue (9am–5pm)
- Lyttelton Service Centre, 18 Canterbury Street, Lyttelton (10am–6pm)
- Shirley Service Centre, 36 Marshland Road, Shirley (9am–5pm)
- Te Hāpua Halswell Service Centre, 341 Halswell Road, Halswell (9am–5pm)
On Saturday 12 October, special voting documents will also be available from the Christchurch City Council Civic Offices, 53 Hereford Street, from 9am until the close of voting at noon.
You can also get them by phoning or emailing the Electoral Officer on 03 941 8681 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The completed voting paper must be returned by noon on election day, Saturday 12 October.