The biggest source of wasted water is leaks, with millions of litres of drinking water being lost across Christchurch each year.

Report a water problem

Undetected leaks can result in a huge loss of water and damage to property. 

 How to check for leaks

Find out how to read your water meter,  then do the following:

  • Pick a time when no water will be used for at least four hours (e.g. overnight).
  • Do not turn off the tap on your water meter during the test. You need to be able to see if the meter dial still moves while you are not using water.
  • Read your water meter, then read it again after the period of not using any water.
  • Read all the numbers on the dial, including the red ones.  
  • If your meter reads are different, it means water is still flowing somewhere on your property and it is likely you have a leak.
  • If a leak is discovered on your property, it’s up to you to get this fixed as soon as possible. The Council is only responsible for pipes and fittings up to your property’s boundary.

Example water meter

Businesses and non-rateable properties like schools and churches are charged for all of the water they use, so a leak could potentially cost them thousands of dollars a year.

It is a breach of the Christchurch City Council Bylaw to have fittings that cause water to be wasted. We may give written notice requiring repair work to be carried out in within the specified timeframe. 

When reporting a leak or burst pipe

If there is a risk to people’s safety or property, contact us on 03 941 8999 anytime.

It's important to know how much water is leaking. For example, if you consider the amount of water that comes out of a regular garden hose, is the amount of water leaking:



  • a lot more
  • a little more
  • a little less
  • a lot less
  • just a trickle or seepage
It's also important to know what exactly is leaking. For example, is it from:

  • a footpath
  • a berm (grass verge)
  • a road
  • a water meter (Toby box)
  • an outside tap

If you think the leak was caused by a contractor, please note the contractor's company information.

Report a water leak or burst pipe(external link)