Food and garden waste is collected weekly and is processed into certified organic compost. By putting the right stuff in the green bin, you’re making it possible for us to produce locally-made compost and reduce how much is sent to landfill.
What can go in the green organics bin
We accept all food waste, most garden waste and cardboard/paper with food on it.
All food waste
- fruit and vegetables
- meat, bones and fish
- bread and pastries
- dairy products
- coffee grinds and tea bags
- shells and shellfish
Liquids can't go in any bin. Cooking oil can be dropped off at one of our EcoDrop Recycling Centres free of charge.
Most garden waste
- cut flowers, pruned branches and leaves
- grass clippings (unless sprayed with a herbicide containing Clopyralid)
We can't accept cuttings from flax, cabbage trees or soil. Put these in the red bin or dispose of them at an EcoDrop for a fee.
Cardboard and paper with food on it
- pizza boxes
- fish 'n' chip wrappers
- kitchen paper towels (unless sprayed with cleaning chemicals)
- Paper or cardboard smaller than an envelope i.e. shredded paper, tissue
Ensure cardboard is not glossy and all tape is removed
It has a handy lookup tool so you can find out what goes in each bin as well as reminders to take the bins out each week.