Offensive trades include rubbish collecting, dag crushing, tanning, wool scouring and the slaughtering of animals for any purpose other than human consumption.

Requirements for each business vary and our Environment Health Officer’s can provide you with further information and advice. For more information, contact us at

In considering whether to grant or refuse an application for a license we will take into consideration several factors.

Offensive trade is defined under the Health Act 1956 as any trade, business, manufacture, or undertaking for the time being specified in Schedule 3. The Act lists the following activities as offensive trades:

  • Blood or offal treating
  • Bone boiling or crushing
  • Collection and storage of used bottles for sale
  • Dag crushing
  • Fellmongering
  • Fish cleaning
  • Fish curing
  • Flax pulping
  • Flock manufacturing, or teasing of textile material for any purpose
  • Gut scraping and treating
  • Nightsoil collection and disposal
  • Refuse collection and disposal
  • Septic tank desludging and disposal of sludge
  • Slaughtering of animals for any purpose other than human consumption
  • Storage, drying or preserving of bones, hides, hooves or skins
  • Tallow melting
  • Tanning
  • Wood pulping
  • Wool scouring

When your business is ready to start, Council's Environmental Health Officer carries out an inspection of your premises.  Once your application has been approved you will be issued a certificate of registration under the Health Act 1956. Business cannot start before you receive a certificate of registration. The certificate of registration will only be approved and issued when the premises comply with the Act and all other relevant legislation and Bylaws have been met.

Change of ownership

If you are taking over an existing business, you must notify us and complete a registration form.

If the business is not registered, you will need to apply for a new registration.

Renew your registration

Licences need to be renewed every year.  If you are currently registered, you will automatically receive a renewal invoice.

Your application for an offensive trade waste must be accompanied by the license application fee(external link).

The Health Act 1956 (Section 54) requires anyone operating an offensive trade to obtain a certificate of registration from Council, in accordance with the Health (Registration of Premises) Regulations 1966(external link). It is an offence to operate an offensive trade without a current registration certificate.

The Health Act 1956(external link) gives a full explanation of when registration for an offensive trade is required.

To apply for an Offensive Trade License, or to Change the Ownership of an Offensive Trade Business, please follow these instructions:

  • Step one – Contact the Council's Environmental Health Officer for a chat. They will schedule an inspection of your site.
  • Step Two – Your Environmental Health Officer will visit your site and discuss your business plans.
  • Step Three – Providing the Environmental Health Officer is happy following the inspection, they will email you the application form for you to print, fill out and email back. You will also need to pay the fee.
  • Step Four - Once your application has been approved and your fee has been paid, you will be sent your registration letter.

To begin this process, please email