If you're planning to carry out any work or activity that affects the operation of the road, footpath or berm, you must submit a Worksite application before you start. This ensures all work is done safely and complies with national regulations.

Find out if you need to apply for a CAR

A CAR is required if you are (but not limited to):

  • Digging, drilling, resurfacing, or doing any other activity that will alter, or cause to be altered, the surface of the road corridor
  • Placing any pipe, duct, pole, cabinet or other structure below, on or above the road corridor
  • Installing a new stormwater drain that leads into the road corridor
  • Near or opening manhole access covers.
  • Events
  • Vehicle Crossings - find out what you need to apply to construct a vehicle crossing or driveway
  • Temporary use of legal road – find out what you need when building a new fence / hoardings, skips / containers, or your work site or equipment encroaches onto the road corridor.


What you need to complete your CAR application

  1. Site or lay plan / Scope of Works - a site or lay plan must be submitted with all CARs.

    The plan / diagram must:
    • be clear and easy to read
    • be site-specific and show the full extent of work/activity and services to be installed
    • show any trees and other above-ground structures, street furniture etc. along the planned lay route.

    Underground service plans

    If you are excavating, before submitting a CAR application you must get underground service plans for your proposed worksite . Some underground service plans can be found by visiting beforeUdig.co.nz(external link). Please note that not all utilites have opted to use this service therefore you will need to contact them directly. 

    Applying for a CAR

    1. Create an account at www.myworksites.co.nz(external link) 
    2. Create a project and submit your worksite application 
    3. Your request will be confirmed via email and you will be given a unique job number - use this number in all communication
    4. The Christchurch City Council will acknowledge receipt of your application within 5 working days and inform you if more information is needed.
    5. If your worksite will affect road or pedestrian traffic, you will also need to submit a traffic management plan (TMP). This can be done as part of the worksite request at www.myworksites.co.nz(external link) 

    Help with the online application process

    1. Use the help information and training videos on our webpage at www.ccc.govt.nz/transport/legal-road/myworksites(external link)
    2. Support and FAQs can also be found on MyWorksites by visiting help.myworksites.co.nz/support/home (external link)
    3. For more information about TMPs, please visit www.ccc.govt.nz/transport/legal-road/traffic-management-news-and-information/(external link)

    Approval, cost and payment


    Submitting an application is not an authority to start work unless it is an emergency. You must wait until you receive your approved Work Access Permit (WAP) by email. 

    Applications must be made at least 15 working days before work starts.


    The Fees - Streets and Transport are set out within the Christchurch City Councils Fees and Charges.

    These fees are separate from any fees incurred by 3rd party service providers to complete Traffic Management Plans or other work.


    You will be advised of the fee during the application process and be sent an invoice for payment.

    You must provide the correct bill payer information and Purchase Order number as part of your application, otherwise, your application will not be processed.

    Starting work and closing off when complete

    Starting work

    Once your application has been approved and you have a copy of your Works Access Permit (WAP) and the terms and conditions, you may access the legal road.

    Closing off a CAR

    When you have completed the work and made appropriate reinstatement, log in to MyWorksites(external link) and change the status of the job to “Work Completion Notified”, submit required documents as per Section 4.7.1 of The National Code of Practice for Utility Operators' Access to Transport Corridors(external link) and email your Corridor Manager to inform them you are ready for the works to be inspected.

    The Council will then carry out an inspection to certify the work is up to standard.

    Completed work is put on a 2-year warranty period. If it fails (or the reinstatement is not up to standard), you are liable to correct it.

    Code of practice

    road works underway

    The National Code of Practice for Utility Operators' Access to Transport Corridors(external link) defines the set of standards for working on the road and the Corridor Access Request (CAR) processes.

    The code is mandatory under the Utilities Access Act 2010(external link) and applies to all works carried out in the road corridor, whether the work is for or by a utility, local government, commercial organisation or private individual(s).


    New Zealand Utilities Advisory Group (NZUAG)(external link) offers a new online training module for those who work in transport corridors to explain the essential elements of safety.

    This is offered free to all participants for the first six months following its launch on Monday 28 August 2023.

    The course teaches workers about the code and how to ensure everyone works in a safe and managed way. It was designed by the team at Open Polytechnic | Te Pūkenga and takes about 45 minutes to complete.

    Students are expected to get at least 80% of the questions correct to pass.

    Sign up for the code training course(external link).