Responsible Dog Owner status recognises good, responsible dog owners and entitles them to a reduced annual dog registration fee. A dog owner seeking Responsible Dog Owner status must meet the application criteria set out below.
Before you begin
- Applications must be received and approved prior to 30 April in any year to enable the successful applicant to gain Responsible Dog Owner status for the dog registration year commencing 1 July
- You must have been a recorded dog owner in Christchurch for at least one year before you apply for the status
- Should Responsible Dog Owner status be withdrawn because the criteria and conditions of this policy have been breached, the owner may not apply for, or be considered for, the status again until two years after the date of withdrawal.
- Any change of residential address or dog registration details (including information on the death, sale, or transfer of any dogs, and including the birth of any pups) must be notified in writing, or by email, online or by phone to the Council within 14 days.
- Applications for Responsible Dog Owner status will not be granted to dogs that are classified as menacing by deed or dangerous.
Note: It is an offence under the Dog Control Act 1996 to knowingly provide false information in relation to the registration of a dog.