Using the regeneration areas

Since 2016 more than 2800 short-term projects and events have occurred across the regeneration areas. If you're interested in using this land for a short or one-off event, or for projects for up to five years, you're welcome to apply.

Apply to use the regeneration areas

You can express your interest or apply to temporarily use any of the regeneration areas in Southshore, Ōtākaro Avon River Corridor, South New Brighton or Brooklands.

If you have already filled out an expression of interest application or talked with a staff member about your project, please fill out the application form below:

We'll then help get your project or temporary land use up and running.

What you need to know

Land ownership

Ownership of all of the former residential red zones is gradually being transferred from the Crown to the Christchurch City Council.

We can approve short-term leases and licences for the land that we own and manage.

We’re now responsible for the Southshore, South New Brighton, Brooklands and Port Hills regeneration areas. 

The 602-hectare Ōtākaro Avon River Corridor (OARC) is being delivered in tranches as Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) configures the land titles in each area. This process is now reaching its final stages.

Types of transitional land uses

We can grant three types of access to the regeneration areas:

  • Access authorities - grant access to land, such as if you need to carry out works on a neighbouring private property and you need to cross the former residential red zone.
  • Licences – these are typically granted if you want to use the land for one-off events.
  • Leases – we tend to grant leases for projects and initiatives.

Examples of activities

  • Community gardens: Community groups have successfully established community gardens for the locals to plant and harvest vegetables and meet for social events.
  • Beehives: Beekeepers are using the RRZ with its abundance of fruit trees to strengthen the local bee population.
  • Radio-controlled trucks: A group has built a temporary track for their radio-controlled trucks and diggers.
  • Festivals: The Council, sports clubs and community groups use the regeneration areas for festivals, concerts and other community events.
  • Sports events: The regeneration areas are used by sports groups for events such as mountain bike races and orienteering.
  • Eco-sourcing: Environmental groups use the regeneration areas to source native plant seeds to regenerate native vegetation.

This map shows an up-to-date overview of the public land uses in the regeneration areas.(external link)

What about permanent land uses?

Enquiries or requests to use the land permanently are subject to a different process. It’s important to point out that decisions on short-term activities don’t signal any intentions or decisions about permanent land use.

For enquiries or requests about permanent use contact

Applying for a temporary land use

All transitional or transformative projects should create vibrancy and support regeneration by improving the environment, experience and activity in the area, or address sustainability or ecological issues.

Who to approach

As the regeneration areas are gradually transferring from the Crown to the Council, we’re now responsible for determining how the land is used in the future.

Depending on the length of time and location of the site you wish to use, you need to either apply through the Council or through LINZ. The below table outlines who you should direct your application to.

Regeneration area location Temporary use up to 6 months, or until Council takes land ownership Permanent land use
Ōtākaro Avon River Corridor Land Information New Zealand Christchurch City Council
Southshore, South New Brighton Christchurch City Council
Brooklands Christchurch City Council
Port Hills Christchurch City Council

Governance and guides

The Council is working to establish a co-governance group to oversee future land uses in the regeneration areas.

Discussions are underway, with an establishment committee now meeting. Details of the model, including key dates and opportunities for community feedback, will be made public as soon as they’re finalised.

LINZ has created a handy guide to applying to use regeneration areas on a temporary basis [PDF, 1.3 MB].

For more information contact David Little, Red Zone Manager on

Current activities being considered

Brooker Avenue and New Brighton Road

We have received an application from Canine Neuropark(external link) to lease an area at the corner of Brooker Avenue and New Brighton Road in Burwood for three years, for the purposes of dog training, socialisation and rehabilitation.

This is a new lease application for a second site to the one they currently occupy in Bexley. 

Email by Wednesday 29 November 2023 if you have any feedback on the proposed activity.

50 Avoca Valley

We have received an application from Angela Fitzgibbon to lease an area at 50 Avoca Valley for three years, for the purpose of horse grazing. 

Email by Wednesday 29 November 2023 if you have any feedback on the proposed activity.

Cowlishaw Street to Patten Street land

We have received an application from Climate Action Campus(external link) to lease an area from Cowlishaw Street on the Southern side from the last entrance to the school to the Patten Street area and all the land in between, for five years, for the purposes of community gardens, soil research, educational purposes, nature play, bike tracks, beehives, food forests, native plantings.

This is a reapplication for an activity previously permitted under a LINZ lease. 

Email by Wednesday 29 November 2023 if you have any feedback on the proposed activity.