Mona Vale's famed gardens also showcase a number of impressive buildings and structures.

Mona Vale Homestead 

Mona Vale HomesteadMona Vale Homestead is listed with Heritage New Zealand as a Historic Place Category 1 listed building with Heritage New Zealand(external link)(external link).

Originally called 'Karewa', prominent architect Joseph Clarkson Maddison designed the homestead in 1899 for the manager of the Belfast Freezing Works, Frederick Waymouth and his wife Alice.

With its half timbered upper floor, lead light windows and steeply pitched roof, the building is a style we know today as Old English Revival. The interior is reflective of this with dark stained timber panelling and a large collection of fireplaces. When the Waymouths lived here, the interior was decorated in the fashionable Arts and Crafts style. This celebrated natural motifs such as leaves and berries along with more hand crafted elements like honeycomb door knobs. 

 In 1905 the property was purchased by wealthy heiress Annie Townend who renamed the homestead after her mother's birth place in Tasmania, Mona Vale. Townend made a number of additions including two gatehouses, a Bath House and a fernery as well as developing the grounds further. Mona Vale passed to public hands in 1969 when then owners, Church of the Latter Day Saints, planned to demolish and subdivide the aging property. Huge public outcry led local Councils to purchase the property and restore it. Fast forward to today, the Mona Vale homestead is a popular wedding and events venue(external link)(external link) managed by Continental Catering.


Gate House

Gate HouseThe Gate House at the Fendalton Road entrance is a Historic Place Category 2 listed building with Heritage New Zealand(external link)(external link).

Built by the "richest woman in the South Island at the time", Annie Quayle Townend built the Gatehouse after purchasing the property in 1905. The gatehouse, in all its Gothic finery, is a fine expression of both Townend's financial resources and her desire to control access to her property. The Gothic inspired Gate House was built in a similar style to her father's North Canterbury station Glenmark (built 1881 by Samuel Farr) and is a highly decorative and detailed building. Steep pitched gables, decorative barge boards, quoining, a Marseilles tiled roof, pointed arched windows and finials grace the exterior lending the building Gothic Revival elements. 

After the 2010-11 earthquakes the Gate House, like the other buildings on the property, was badly damaged and underwent extensive repairs and restoration. A large amount of deconstruction and reconstruction took place during this time, the exterior brickwork taken down to first floor level before being strengthened with concrete columns and a reinforced concrete beam. The ground floor has been relevelled and a palisade wall now prevents lateral spread. The tile roof was stripped and roof plane strengthened before the Marseille tiles were reinstated along with the finials.

At the beginning of 2018, the Gate House was utilised to house three visiting animators for an artists in residence programme that is set to last 12 months.


The Lodge

The LodgeThe Lodge at the Mona Vale Avenue entrance was probably built in 1898, before the main homestead, by the same architect Joseph Clarkson Maddison.

The building sat in an entrance way once used by service and tradesmen and was used by Annie Townend to house her coachman between 1909 and 1911. Subsequent Mona Vale owners used the Lodge as accommodation for their gardeners. The Lodge has more recently been used as staff offices for gardeners of Mona Vale.

The building style is that of a late Victoria bay villa with echoes of the 'old English' domestic revival style of the main homestead. Marseille roof tiles, Jacobean chimneys, lead light windows and a half timbered effect are shared as motifs of the main building.  


The Bath House

Bath HouseThe Bath House at Mona Vale was added by Annie Townend between 1905 and 1914 and was built to resemble her the conservatory at her father's Glenmark station.
The Bath House differs from similar Victorian conservatories and glass houses in the fact that it is built from finely crafted timber and glazing bars instead of steel.

A swimming pool was in the centre of the Bath House with built in pot planters surrounding it. The last private owners, the Gough family, installed a heated pool during the 1940s. Since the building has passed into public hands, it has mostly been used to house pot plants and a fountain.