Formerly St Marys Convent Chapel, located on Colombo Street, the chapel is listed as an Historic Place Category 2.
Work to repair and restore the Rose Historic Chapel is now underway, and scheduled to be completed by November 2017.
Higgs Construction Ltd has begun the 12-month process of repairing and restoring the historic chapel to its former glory. They will rebuild the collapsed gable walls, strengthen the roof and foundations, and reconstruct and re-install all the stained glass windows.
The heritage-listed Rose Historic Chapel, formerly known as the St Mary’s Convent Chapel, was built in Colombo St in 1910 and was the first of six church designs the Luttrell brothers, Alfred and Sydney, undertook as the unofficial Diocesan architects for the Roman Catholic Church.
The chapel, which featured an outstanding collection of stained glass windows, was bought by Christchurch City Council in 1996 to ensure its retention.
There is more information about the listing(external link) at the Heritage New Zealand website.
The Chapel performed similarly to other buildings of its construction and age in response to the earthquakes. According to engineers it seems likely that the strengthening in the roof could not resist the seismic loads created by the earthquake.
A recent qualitative Detailed Engineering Evaluation showed that the building is considered to be less than 33 per cent of the New Building Standard and is therefore defined as earthquake prone.
Work around strengthening options has started but more detailed engineering investigations will need to be carried out to provide more information towards a decision.