Land and environment consent activities


Rule interpretations, processing guidance and standard conditions for billboard applications.


If you are planning to carry out excavation or filling on your property you may likely to need a resource consent.

Heritage buildings and items

Resource consent is for alterations or demolition of heritage items in the Christchurch City or Banks Peninsula District Plans.

Quarry rehabilitation plan

A guide to assist quarry operators when preparing a quarry site rehabilitation plan.

Relocating a building

Relocating an existing building to a new site within the city may require a resource consent if the property is in a character area overlay.


The rules around the placement of signs can be complex and various consents and permits may be necessary.

Streamside planting

The Christchurch City and lowland Canterbury streamside planting guide.

Urban design guides

Urban design guides and guidelines produced by the Council.

Vehicle crossings

A vehicle crossing is the section of driveway from the front of the property boundary to the roadway. It is possible to widen or relocate your vehicle crossing.

Works on contaminated land

Building and earthworks on contaminated land (HAIL land) may require resource consent from the Council or Environment Canterbury or both.