Every residential unit in a residential zone or building in a commercial or industrial zone is required to have access to sufficient water supply.

This includes access to water supplies for firefighting via the Council's urban fully reticulated system in accordance with the New Zealand Fire Service Firefighting Water Supplies Code of Practice (SNZ PAS:4509:2008). 

If the site is within a residential zone where there may not be a compliant reticulated supply water supply, access to water supplies for firefighting must be in accordance with the alternative firefighting water sources provisions of SNZ PAS 4509:2008.

The Council will identify whether a property is located within the urban water supply zone as part of the assessment check for applications for Project Information Memoranda, Building Consents and/or resource consent for new residential units in residential zones.

For new buildings in industrial or commercial zones or for more than three residential units on a certificate of title, details of the project should be forwarded to watercapacity@ccc.govt.nz for confirmation whether the reticulated supply meets the requirements of the Code.

Please contact DutyPlanner@ccc.govt.nz for more information.