Set up a food truck or home-based businesses
Both home-based and mobile businesses are treated the same way as food businesses such as cafes and restaurants. They all follow the same setup and registration journey.
Mobile food truck/stalls must be suitable for food preparation, food handling, food sales, and must be self-contained.
As all food businesses are different, there is no one size fits all guide to setting up a food truck.
Apply for a Council consent, licence or permit
Ensure you meet the requirements with these teams:
- Permit to trade: If you want to trade in a public space such as a park, you will need a permit. Check mobile or travelling shops(external link) for more information or contact our Trading and Events Team on 03 941 8999 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Alcohol Licence: If you will be selling or supplying alcohol, you need an alcohol licence(external link). Contact our Alcohol Licencing Team on 03 941 8999 or email@example.com.
- Resource consent: Your business must comply with the Christchurch District Plan(external link). Contact our duty planner on 03 9418999 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Building consent: If you will be doing any building, renovation or changing the way the building will be used(external link), contact our Duty Building Consent Officer on 03 941 8999 or email@example.com.
- Trade waste: If your business will produce liquid waste that will discharge to the sewer system you must apply for a consent or registration to discharge(external link). Contact the Trade Waste Team on 03 941 8999 or firstname.lastname@example.org.