This page looks at the important Council events that took place between 1861 and 1880.
Christchurch City Council established. Population of Christchurch is about 3000
The first meeting of the Christchurch Municipal Council took place in the Land Office. John Hall(external link) is elected the first Chairman of the Municipal Council. John Hall later represented Christchurch, Heathcote, Selwyn and Ellesmere in Parliament and in 1879 he was appointed Premier of New Zealand. He retired in 1882 and was awarded a K.C.M.G. He later came out of retirement to accept the Mayoralty of Christchurch in 1906. However, Sir John Hall(external link) did not survive the term of his Mayoralty. He died in Christchurch on June 26, 1907, in his 83rd year
Did you know?
Christchurch Municipal Council is renamed Christchurch City Council by virtue of the Christchurch City Council Ordinance. It was also known as Christchurch Borough Council between June and October 1868 in compliance with the Municipal Corporations Act passed by Parliament in November 1867
More information on the development of Christchurch(external link) at Christchurch City Libraries website
John Ollivier (1863–1864) is elected the second Chairman of the Christchurch City Council. According to Rice (1999:41) “The ‘king-maker’ of Canterbury provincial politics, he was a hearty, jolly man, intensely energetic, ready to take the lead in any good cause”
Archives Reference: CCC/ARC/100/2 Christchurch City Council Minute Book 1862-1863, p72
Samuel Bealey(external link) is elected third Superintendent of Canterbury
Civic tree planting begins. This is generally regarded as the beginning of the Botanic Gardens. The first tree planted was known as the Albert Edward oak and was planted to mark the wedding of the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII, to Princess Alexandra of Denmark. For more information, the Christchurch City Libraries Archives The Burke Manuscript(external link) mentions Mr Enoch Barker and his involvement in the planting of trees in Hagley Park
In January 1862 half an acre was purchased on the corner of Cambridge Terrace and Hereford Street. A new building designed by Samuel Farr was selected and the new library(external link) was completed in October 1863
Isaac Luck(external link) (1865) is elected the third Chairman of the Christchurch City Council. Isaac Luck was a skilled builder. He arrived in Lyttelton on The Steadfast in 1851. He co-designed with his brother-in-law and business partner, Benjamin Woolfield Mountfort, the Canterbury Provincial Council Chambers between 1858–1865
Archives Reference: CCC/ARC/100/3 Christchurch City Council Minute Book 1862–1863, p15
Canterbury Provincial Council Buildings(external link) in Durham Street completed. The complex of buildings was designed by architect Benjamin Woolfield Mountfort who also designed Canterbury Museum and parts of the Arts Centre (formally the University of Canterbury). The foundation stone for the building was laid on 6 January 1858
|1866||The population of Christchurch is now about 6500 with an estimated 65 hotels|
Edward Brenchley Bishop(external link) (1866–1868) is elected the fourth Chairman of the Christchurch City Council. Before emigrating to New Zealand, Edward Bishop worked as a distiller in London for 21 years before immigrating to Canterbury in 1850 onboard The Charlotte Jane with his wife, two sisters and younger brother Fredrick Augustus Bishop. Edward Bishop and his brother owned 100 acres on the Heathcote River. He was a prominent member of the Farmers Club and the Canterbury A & P Association, and was involved with the Canterbury Rifle Volunteers. He was Mayor of Christchurch from 1872–1873
Archives Reference: CCC/ARC/100/3 Christchurch City Council Minute Book 1862–1863, p172
Christchurch City Council virtually bankrupt because of a ratepayers protest. Ratepayers withheld the rate payments, some street lights were turned off, Council workers dismissed and night soil collection was cancelled
Christchurch City Council abandons the vital city drainage scheme because of its financial state. A large shipment of pipes just arrived from England had to be sold off, thus for the next 20 years, Christchurch earned the reputation as New Zealand’s most polluted city.
|1866||30 May||William Sefton Moorhouse re-elected as Provincial Superintendent. This is his second term in office|
|1867||9 December||The Lyttelton Railway Tunnel opens, which was a major accomplishment at the time. It was the first in the world to be drilled through a volcano rim and it was New Zealand’s first tunnel, described at the time as one of the longest in the world|
William Barber Wilson(external link) (1868) is elected the fifth Chairman of the Christchurch City Council. William Wilson was known as a forcible speaker and took a very prominent part in local politics. He was president of the Christchurch Horticultural Society and Chairman of Municipal subcommittees responsible for the first landscaping of the River Avon in 1862
Archives Reference: CCC/ARC/100/3 Christchurch City Council Minute Book 1862–1863, p372
William Rolleston(external link) elected as the fourth and last Provincial Superintendent of Canterbury
Did you know?
|1868||10 June||William Barber Wilson (1868) is elected as the first Mayor of Christchurch. He was the last Chairman of the Council|
John Anderson(external link) (1868–1869) is elected the second Mayor of Christchurch
|1869||Andrew Duncan (1869–1870) is elected third Mayor of Christchurch. Andrew Duncan emigrated to New Zealand as a young man and quickly became a highly respected member of the Christchurch community|
|1870||James P Jameson (1870–1871) is elected as fourth Mayor of Christchurch|
|1871||Henry Sawtell (1871–1872) is elected as fifth Mayor of Christchurch|
|1872||Edward Brenchley Bishop is elected as sixth Mayor of Christchurch (also in office as Chairman in 1866)|
|1873||27 January||Christchurch Domains Board constituted. Michael B Hart (1873–1874) is elected as seventh Mayor of Christchurch|
|1876||The population of Christchurch is approximately 12,815 within the Central City and an estimated 10,000 in the surrounding suburbs. Lyttelton had a population of approximately 3224|
|1876||4 January||First meeting of the Christchurch Drainage Board|
Sydenham Borough Council formed. Henry Thomson (1877-1878) is elected as tenth Mayor of Christchurch.
Did you know?
Provincial Government abolished(external link). The first Counties Act of 1876 divided the country into 63 counties
James Gapes (1876–1877) is elected as ninth Mayor of Christchurch
|1878||Charles Thomas Ick (1878–1880) is elected as eleventh Mayor of Christchurch|
|1880||James Gapes (1880–1881) is re-elected as Mayor of Christchurch (had previously sat in office in 1877)|