A gift to the people of Christchurch from Thomas Edmonds – the man behind the Edmonds Cookery Book – this classical-style rotunda was built in 1929.
The classical-style Edmonds Band Rotunda was restored in 2021 after being severely damaged in the 2010-11 earthquakes. Set along the picturesque Otakaro-Avon River, it's a lovely spot for a summer picnic.
Visit other Edmonds heritage sites around the city including the Edmonds Pavilion located next to the band rotunda, the Edmonds Clock Tower on the corner of Madras Street and Oxford Terrace, the Edmonds Telephone Booth and Edmonds Factory Gardens.
Edmonds Band Rotunda is located at 230 Cambridge Terrace. Parking is available along Cambridge Terrace. Visit metroinfo(external link)(external link) for up-to-date bus information.
Dogs must be on a leash in the park and around the memorial, as part of the central city leash requirement.
Find more parks where you can take your dog.
To celebrate fifty years of business in Christchurch, Thomas J. Edmonds - found of Edmonds' Baking Powder - financed the construction of this band rotunda in 1929 along with several other structures. The site, overlooking the Otakaro-Avon River, was selected as part of Edmonds' Riverbank Improvement Scheme.
Architect Victor Hean designed the octagonal rotunda in the high renaissance style. Standing at 12 metres tall, the rotunda is built from reinforced concrete with a plaster finish and topped by a copper-sheathed dome supported by eight pillars. The performance space is accessed by two curved staircases and a basement space exists beneath which was once used as a changing room by bandsmen. A circular seating area exists to the west of the rotunda while a shelter sits to the east.
The official opening of the rotunda took place on 11 November 1929 when nine different bands performed. With the decline in popularity of band concerts in the late twentieth century, the rotunda gradually fell into disrepair. In 1985 it was transformed into the Thomas Edmonds Restaurant - changes included new glazed windows between the pillars, awnings, a kitchen and bathrooms in the basement.
The Canterbury 2010-11 earthquakes severely damaged the rotunda and it was deconstructed so repairs could take place. The roof was restored and placed on top of a new base and columns. The Canterbury Earthquake Appeal Trust has donated $1 million towards the reinstatement.
The restored rotunda is now used as a performance venue.