Shaping your place, particularly your local commercial centre, may involve cleaning it up in the short term and ensuring it remains nuisance-free in the long term.


The Council manages graffiti in several different ways.

  • If the graffiti is on public property, the Council uses contractors and volunteers to remove it within 48 hours.
  • If the graffiti is on private property, the Council will usually pass on the information to the relevant property owner. However, there are instances where the Council will undertake to remove graffiti. This could be where the graffiti is offensive and/or is on property boundaries with Council land. This includes street frontages for small businesses.

Tips on how to prevent graffiti. 

Noise control

Excessive noise in residential neighbourhoods and commercial centres is monitored and managed by the Council.

More about noise control and ways you can help reduce it.

Rubbish and recycling

The Council manages litter, rubbish and recycling.

More about litter and rubbish collection, sorting, recycling and disposal.

Reporting issues to the Council

There are several ways you can report issues needing attention in your neighbourhood or commercial centre to the Council.

  • Snap Send Solve: Snap Send Solve is the Council’s smartphone app to help make reporting issues easy. Just take a photo of the issue. The app identifies its location using your mobile phone’s GPS data and sends an email to the Council from your email address, including the photo, issue type, address of the issue, any notes and your contact details. The information is then sent to the right Council team for action. The more information you can provide, the better the Council can isolate and investigate the issue.
  • Council website: Council-related issues can also be reported by selecting the relevant option from the drop-down list.
  • Phone: You can report issues to the Council by calling 03 941 8999, anytime.

Reporting issues to the NZ Police

Non-emergency situations

To report non-urgent situations (e.g. liquor ban breaches, intentional property damage or to get an update on an existing report) call the NZ Police on 105, or go to link).

Emergency situations

In an emergency, where something is happening now (e.g. if a property is currently being damaged), call 111.