Effective from 8 October 2019.
2.1 Registration for Rates Service: In order to use the Rates Service you are required to register and establish a Rates Service Account through our website (Rates Service Account). If your registration for a Rates Service Account is completed successfully, you will receive an email verification link through which you must confirm registration and enter the details of each rating unit for which receipt of electronic rates notices by email is required.
2.2 Rates Service Account Requirements: In order to register and establish a Rates Service Account, you will need:
- a valid email address and your rates account number, and
- to ensure that you enter the property valuation reference for each rating unit for which you wish to receive electronic rates notices by email.
2.3 Jointly Owned Rating Units: Where the ratepayer for a rating unit is more than one person, any person establishing a Rates Service Account, or with an existing Rates Services Account, may only record that rating unit against that Rates Service Account with the authorisation of all relevant persons. You are responsible for ensuring that you have such authorisation.
2.4 Duplicate Notices: A rating unit may be linked to more than one Rates Service Account, in which case copies of the electronic rates notices will be sent to the email address of all Rates Service Accounts that have the rating unit recorded.
2.5 Cessation of Paper Notices: Once a rating unit has been linked to one or more Rates Service Accounts, then for so long as that rating unit continues to be linked to at least one Rates Service Account, paper notices will no longer be issued for that rating unit. This will still be the case where the rating unit ceases to be linked to the rating unit owner’s Rates Service Account. For example, if the rating unit continues to be linked to a property manager’s Rates Service Account, electronic rates notices will still be sent even if the rating unit owner removes the rating unit from the rating unit owner’s Rates Service Account.
3. Your information and responsibilities
3.1 Warranties and Authorisation: You warrant:
- That all information you submit to us in relation to the Rates Service, including information submitted as part of your registration under clause 2, is correct and accurate.
- You will only register against your Rates Service Account:
- rating units that you own, and where you own the rating unit jointly you will only register the rating unit against your Rates Service Account if you have the authorisation of all owners of the rating unit to do so;
- in respect of rating units that you do not own:
- rating units for which you are the recorded in the rating information database as the ratepayer; or
- rating units for which you have the authorisation of the rating unit owner to register against your Rates Service Account, and in each such case, you will immediately remove such rating units from your Account in the event that you cease to be the ratepayer for the rating unit, or cease to have the rating unit owner’s authorisation, as applicable.
- If you are creating a Rates Service Account on behalf of a partnership, trust, company, incorporated society or any other entity, you are authorised to do so.
3.2 Your Responsibilities: You agree to:
- create and hold only one Rates Service Account;
- ensure that the email address you provide for your Rates Service Account from time to time is current and accessible by you;
- check the email address associated with your Rates Service Account for your electronic rates notices regularly – failure to check your email account will not relieve you from your obligation to pay;
- comply with our reasonable instructions relating to the use of, the Rates Service;
- take reasonable steps to ensure that all information you provide in relation to your Account is complete, correct and accurate;
- keep any username and password for your Rates Service Account secure and confidential and be responsible for all use of the Rates Service through your Rates Service Account, and
- notify us of any actual or suspected unauthorised use of your Rates Service Account.
4. Liability and disclaimers
4.1 Liability Exclusions: Subject to clause 4.4, to the fullest extent permitted by law, we will not be liable for any errors and omissions, nor for
- any direct or indirect, incidental, special or consequential loss or damage;
- any loss of data, profits, revenue, business or goodwill; or
- any damage to your device or the data held on your device,
arising out of, or in connection with the use of, the Rates Service.
4.2 Limitation of Liability: If notwithstanding the above, we are found to be liable to you for any damage or loss which arises as a result of your use of the Rates Service, our liability (whether in contract, tort or otherwise) will not exceed $50.00.
5. Suspension and termination
5.1 Suspension of Operation: We may withdraw or suspend the operation of the Rates Service, if we have reasonable grounds for doing so, including for security, legal or business reasons. We will use reasonable endeavours to give you notice of this before we do so.