Home occupations are permitted in all residential zones other than Residential Central City if the following standards are met:
- The total floor area of the building and any outdoor storage area used for the home occupation must be no more than 40m²
- A maximum of two full-time equivalent people who don't live on the site can be also employed in the home occupation
- The only retail activity permitted is the sale of goods grown or produced on the site, goods incidental to the onsite service provided by the home occupation (maximum 1m2 in floor area) or internet-based sales where no customer visits occur. Food and beverage outlets are not permitted
- Manufacturing, altering, repairing, dismantling or processing of materials must be within a fully enclosed building
- The site can only be open to visitors, clients, and deliveries between the hours of:
- 7.00am to 9.00pm Monday to Friday; and
- 8.00am to 1.00pm Saturday, Sunday and public holidays.
- Visitor, courier vehicle and staff parking areas must not be located in the road boundary setback (the area between the front of the building and the road) and within the net site area of the property (i.e. not on shared driveways)
- Vehicle movements must not exceed 2 per week for heavy vehicles, or 16 per day for other vehicles
- Signs must have a maximum area of 0.5m², except that on sites with frontage to Memorial Avenue or Fendalton Road no signage is permitted at all
If any of the above standards cannot be met, a resource consent is required for the home occupation.
The application must address the effects resulting from the scale and nature of the activity, traffic generation, access safety and/or hours of operation, depending on which particular standards are not met. If the home occupation occupies more than 40% of the gross floor area of the residential unit excluding accessory buildings, consent is required as a discretionary activity.