Information about specific planning requirements if you are wanting to work from home.

Under the Christchurch District Plan

A home occupation is any occupation, including a profession, undertaken within a residential unit by a person who lives permanently within that residential unit. Home occupations are intended to be secondary in scale to the residential use of the site. 

Home occupations are permitted in all residential zones other than Residential Central City provided that the following standards are met:

  • The gross floor area of the building, plus the area used for the outdoor storage area, occupied by the home occupation must be less than 40m².
  • Only two full time equivalent persons who don't live on the site can be employed in the home occupation.
  • The only retailing permitted is the sale of goods grown or produced on the site, or internet-based sales where no customer visits occur. 
  • The site can only be opened to visitors, clients, and deliveries between the hours of: 
    • 0700 - 2100 Monday to Friday; and 
    • 0800 - 1900 Saturday, Sunday and public holidays. 
  • Visitors or staff parking areas must not be in the road boundary setback (that area between the front of the building on the site and the road).
  • Signs must have a maximum of 2m², except on sites with frontage to Memorial Avenue or Fendalton Road there is no signage permitted. 

If any of the above standards cannot be met, a resource consent is required for the home occupation as a restricted discretionary activity. The application must address the scale of the activity, traffic generation and access safety and hours of operation, depending on which particular standards are not met. 

Other work from home activities

The plan also allows the following other work from home activities in Residential zones:

  • Care of non-resident children within a residential unit in return for monetary payment to the carer provided that a maximum of four non-resident children are being cared for at any one time and at least one carer lives permanently within the residential unit. 
  • Bed and breakfast where a maximum of six guests are accommodated at any one time; at least one owner of the residential unit lives permanently on site; and no guests is given accommodation for more than 90 consecutive days. This activity cannot include the sale of alcohol. 

If the above standards cannot be met, resource consent is required as a discretionary activity.