Once a water connection has been installed, the Council owns and is responsible for the maintenance of the water meter and isolating valve. It is responsible for pipes and other equipment up to the property boundary.

It is up to the property owner or developer how water gets from the property boundary to the new or redeveloped building or amenity. Not every water connection goes to a building. Other uses include irrigation systems, golf courses or rural supplies to stock watering systems.

Refer to the Christchurch City Council Water Supply, Wastewater and Stormwater Bylaw 2014 [PDF, 158 KB] for the conditions and approvals required for a water connection.

The Council can also provide temporary connections for building sites, road works or for situations requiring large volumes. This is usually done through a backflow-protected and metered standpipe which connects to a fire hydrant or by a temporary connection that will be plumbed into the reticulation network.


Apply for a water supply connection.


Apply to upgrade a water supply connection.


Apply to relocate a water supply connection


Apply to have your water disconnected.

Flow test application form

Apply for a private fire contractor to carry out work on the Council's water supply network using the WS5 form (PDF).