Kerbside collection on public holidays
Kerbside collection on public holidays:
- Easter Good Friday (Friday, 3 April 2015) - collection will occur on Saturday, 4 April 2015
- Anzac Day (Saturday, 25 April 2015 - collection as normal on Monday, 27 April 2015)
- Christmas Day (Friday, 25 December 2015) - collection will occur on Saturday, 26 December 2015
On all other public holidays collection will occur as normal.
Christchurch Wheelie Bins App
Not sure what goes in which bin?
Would you like a personalised reminder when to take the wheelie bins out each week?
Download the free Christchurch Wheelie Bins App to quickly and easily access important information about your kerbside collection service.
Download here for iOS devices
Download here for Android devices
How the service works
The Council provides a kerbside wheelie bin collection to all properties on a collection route that pay a Uniform Annual General Charge and a Waste Minimisation Charge on their rates. This includes most properties in Christchurch.
The standard kerbside wheelie bin collection service includes:
|Colour of bin lid || Size of standard bin||Used for || Collection schedule|
| Red|| 140 litres|| Household rubbish (non-recyclable or non-organic)|| Fortnightly|
| Yellow|| 240 litres|| Household recycling|| Fortnightly|
| Green|| 80 litres||Organic waste - food scraps and garden trimmings|| Weekly|
To ensure your bins are collected:
- Put your bins out either the night before the day of collection, or before 6 am on collection day.
- Put your bins at the kerbside, with the handle facing your house.
- Allow half a metre between the bins and any obstructions, eg. trees.
- Don’t overfill your bins – the lid must be closed flat for collection and bins weighing more than 70 kgs may not be emptied.
- Don’t place items next to your bins - they will not be collected.
- Only use the bin allocated to the property.
- After your bins have been emptied, take them in by 11 pm on collection day.
- If missed on collection day, please ring 941 8999 and supply bin serial no and colour of bin that was missed. Council needs to be advised of a missed collection within 48 hours of collection day.
Read the Waste Management Bylaw 2009 for the full list of terms and conditions around the use of the kerbside wheelie bins.
If you have any questions relating to wheelie bin collection days, please contact the Christchurch City Council Call Centre on free phone 0800 800 169
or (03) 941 8999
Find out the collection day for each of the kerbside wheelie bins at your property, and whether you are in the ‘week one’ or ‘week two’ collection area by entering your address below:
You can also download kerbside collection calendars for your area here: Week 1 and Week 2.
Kerbside collection continues as normal on all public holidays except the following:
- Christmas Day
- New Year’s Day
- Easter Good Friday
- Anzac Day
If these public holidays fall on a:
- Monday or Tuesday – place your bins out for collection before 6 am on the Saturday before your normal collection day.
- Wednesday, Thursday or Friday – place your bins out for collection before 6 am on the Saturday following your normal collection day.
Frequently Answered Questions
Got a question regarding kerbside collection and wheelie bins? Check out our FAQs section