We are constructing transport projects in the St Albans, Edgeware and Mairehau aimed at managing the expected traffic when the Christchurch Northern Corridor opens and improving connections for pedestrians and cyclists in the area.
Receive updates on traffic mitigation projects
The Christchurch Northern Corridor (CNC) is due to open in December 2020 and will help people to travel to and from the north of Christchurch by extending the Northern Motorway from QEII Drive and Cranford Street, through to Innes Road.
Further information about this project is available on the NZ Transport Agency website(external link).
Construction is underway
Construction is now underway with work currently focused on the following areas:
- Cranford Street and Sherborne Street - this includes the Cranford/Westminster intersection, the Cranford/Berwick intersection and installing new water mains between Berwick Street and Bealey Avenue. We are also doing significant work at the intersection of Sherborne Street and Bealey Avenue.
- The intersection of Warrington Street and Barbadoes Street.
- The intersection of Berwick Street and Forfar Street.
- The intersection of Barbadoes Street and Edgeware Road.
When travelling through the area we recommend sticking to the main roads such as Madras Street, Barbadoes Street and Hills Road where possible. We will be keeping traffic moving on these roads.
Thanks for your patience while we do this disruptive work.
What have we been working on?
- We have laid 28 metres of drainage and two drainage sumps on the east side of Barbadoes Street near the Warrington Street intersection.
- The road closure at the Edgeware Road and Barbadoes Street intersection is switching from the west side of the intersection to the east.
- We are waiting on some dry weather to complete road markings at the Winton Street and Cranford Street intersection, the Purchas Street and Barbadoes Street intersection and on Innes Road.
- New kerb and channel are complete on the northwest corner of Bealey Avenue and Sherborne Street, and the road surface is milled out ready for new asphalt.
What is coming up?
- Kerb and channel work on the west side of the Warrington Street and Barbadoes Street intersection.
- Completing drainage work at the Barbadoes Street and Edgeware Road intersection.
- Reinstating the asphalt over the new water main on Sherborne Street.
- Reinstating the footpath on the west side of Sherborne Street near the intersection with Bealey Avenue.