Event: ASB Christchurch Marathon 2021
Plan your journey into the Christchurch CBD with the return of the ASB Christchurch Marathon on Sunday, April 11
Sun 11th Apr 2021 05:00 am
The ASB Christchurch Marathon will be held on the 11th of April, 2021
The ASB Christchurch Marathon will be held this year on Sunday, 11th of April.
This year, as with previous years, all events will start and finish outside the Christchurch Town Hall on Kilmore St.
Kilmore St will also be closed from Park Tce to Durham St North and from Durham St North to Fitzgerald Ave.
A number of hard closure points will be in place on Kilmore Street and Colombo Street near the Town Hall. Emergency services will be let through, if necessary, during the closures times.
A map of these closure points can be found here [PDF, 248 KB].
A list of the Temporary Road Closures can be found here [PDF, 100 KB].
The public will not be allowed to cross the route during the event, only emergency services and buses will be permitted.
Top travel tips:
- Avoid unnecessary car travel across the central city between 5 am and 10 am - let's keep the streets safe for our runners
- Travel around the central city using the wider network in the east and west (map below)
- Bus services will continue but will be delayed
- Expect delays on key routes around the central city and route in the eastern suburbs
- Avoid delays and plan ahead
Businesses and the central city are open as usual.
- Walk and cycle to and from the central city.
- To avoid unnecessary delays, park in an accessible part of the City and walk to and from your destination.
- You will be able to walk across the marathon route.
- Access to the City Centre, from Moorhouse Ave, will be maintained.
Change what you do this day or expect significant delays if you try to cross the marathon route.
To get around the Marathon course and avoid unnecessary delays use either:
- Deans Ave to Moorhouse Ave
- Anzac Dr to Pages Rd
- New Brighton Rd will be one-way eastbound. Use Travis Rd to QEII Dr
Car Parking within the Central City
The CBD will be fully open for business during the Marathon but you will need to plan your journey to avoid unnecessary delays if travelling into the City before 10 am.
The road closures that will be in place will affect what car parks are available during the marathon. If you’re coming into the Central City, please be aware that car parking sites along the route of the marathon will be inaccessible.
If you want to use any of the city’s major car parking buildings – Lichfield Street, Art Gallery, Hereford Street, West End, Innovation (SALT) Carpark or The Crossing – your best approach will be from the south.
Use the Christchurch City Council Car Parking web page for information on the location of car parking buildings and the number of parks available.
Roads affected by the route will be reopened in two stages. The roads around Durham St and Montreal St will be reopened by 10 am. All other roads will be reopened by 2 pm, except for Kilmore St which will remain closed until 9 pm. For a full list of road closures click here [PDF, 100 KB].
If you live in the east of the City:
- New Brighton Road is open eastbound & closed westbound to allow runners through.
- The best way to get to the CBD from New Brighton, until after 2 pm, will be via Pages Rd, or Dyers Rd through to Ferry Rd & onto Moorhouse Ave.
- The best way to get to the CBD from the Parklands or Burwood areas is as above until 10 am when the following route is available: QEII Drive to Innes Road then Cranford St to Bealey Ave.
- Durham St North will be open after 10 am.
If you live in the west or north of the City:
- Before 10 am, the best way to the CBD is as follows: Use Fendalton Rd, Riccarton Rd, Blenheim Rd or Lincoln Rd to Deans Ave & on to Riccarton Ave & then to Moorhouse Ave.
- After 10 am, the best way to the CBD is as follows: Head to Moorhouse Ave or Riccarton Ave. Or Harper Ave to Bealey Ave & then use the southbound one-way system.