Some local authorities were the Avon Road Board (later Waimairi County Council), Heathcote Road Board (later Heathcote County Council) and Riccarton Road Board (later Riccarton Borough Council). There were borough councils at New Brighton (amalgamated with Christchurch city in 1941), St Albans, Linwood and Sydenham (amalgamated in 1903), Spreydon and Woolston (amalgamated in 1921).
Waimairi District Council, Paparua County Council, Riccarton Borough Council, Heathcote County Council, Christchurch Drainage Board and Christchurch Transport Board amalgamated with Christchurch City Council in November 1989; Banks Peninsula District Council in 2006.
Due to this process of amalgamation and re-structuring, Christchurch City Council Archives holds records created by a number of these superseded local authorities. These include:
- CCC ARC 200 Lyttelton Banks Peninsula 1862-1989 [PDF, 772 KB]
Includes Lyttelton Municipal and Borough Council, and Banks Peninsula District Council.
- CCC ARC 300 Amalgamated Local Authorities 1864-1989 [PDF, 663 KB]
Includes Avon Road Board, Central Heathcote Road Board, Linwood Borough Council, New Brighton Borough Council, Riccarton Road Board and Borough Council, Spreydon Road Board and Borough Council, St Albans Borough Council, Sumner Town Board and Borough Council, Woolston Town Board and Borough Council.
- CCC ARC 357 Waimairi County Council 1864-1989 [PDF, 351 KB]
- CH351 Paparua County Council 1864-1989 [PDF, 229 KB]
- CH353 Heathcote County Council 1868-1989 [PDF, 309 KB]
- CH770 Little River Road Board, Wairewa County Council 1865-1949 [PDF, 165 KB]
Christchurch Drainage Board
- CH385 Christchurch Drainage Board Minute Books 1876-1989 [PDF, 190 KB]
- CH633 Christchurch Drainage Board: Reports, Correspondence 1968-1983 [PDF, 273 KB]
- CH646 Christchurch Drainage Board Correspondence 1922-1992 [PDF, 218 KB]
- CH659 Christchurch Drainage Board Photographs and Records 1880-1989 [PDF, 183 KB]
- CH712 Christchurch Drainage Board Minutes Book Letters 1875-1914 [PDF, 170 KB]
Christchurch Tramways/Transport Board
- CH347 Christchurch Tramway Board 1906-1982 [PDF, 179 KB]
- CH711 Christchurch Tramways Board 1902-1946 [PDF, 186 KB]
- CH903 Municipal Electricity Department (MED)/ Southpower Correspondence c1920-1980 [PDF, 326 KB]
- CH904 Municipal Electricity Department (MED)/ Southpower Subject Files 1916-1984 [PDF, 160 KB]
- CH906 Central Canterbury Electric Power Board 1971-1993 [PDF, 273 KB]
- CH910 Municipal Electricity Department (MED)/Southpower Maps & Plans 1902-1983 [PDF, 170 KB]
- CH920 Central Canterbury Electricity Power Board Minute Books 1921-1933 [PDF, 166 KB]
- CH921 Springs Ellesmere Electric Power Board 1920-1965 [PDF, 174 KB]
- CH922 Pre Amalgamation Power Board Records 1920-1989 [PDF, 164 KB]
Includes Christchurch City Council, Riccarton Borough Council, Port Hills Electricity and Banks Peninsula Power Board records.