This payment extension is available to residents, businesses/farms and not-for-profit organisations.
You will need to show that you are experiencing financial hardship due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. You would need to provide information showing that your income fell by at least 30% due to the pandemic. That fall should be measured over a period of at least three months, compared with a similar period prior to the impact of the pandemic.
If you are having trouble paying your rates for some other reason, please call us on 03 941 8999 or 0800 800 169.
You can apply if you are the owner of one or more properties in the Christchurch district that you have owned since before 26 March 2020.
If you’re applying for a property used for residential purposes, you need to be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident or live in Christchurch.
This payment extension is not available if you were in rates arrears before 26 March 2020, unless those arrears have been cleared.
Apply first for other assistance
Before you apply, you should have applied first for other assistance where that is available from central government and/or your bank.
This assistance includes (where appropriate):
- Work and Income benefits and payments(external link).
- The Government’s rates rebate scheme(external link): This provides assistance of up to $655 per year for low-income ratepayers. The amount you receive depends on your income, your rates and the number of dependents you have. This simple calculator(external link) will help you work out if you are eligible.
- Inland Revenue small business cash flow loan scheme:(external link) Applications can be submitted up to the end of December 2020.
- The Government’s wage subsidy or extension: This has now closed to new applications.
- Loan, or home loan, restructures or additional loans from banks.
You will need to visit a budget advisor
For residential properties, we will ask you to get a statement from a qualified budget advisor agreeing that it is realistic for you to make the planned payments.
A list of free Christchurch budgeting services along with a map can be found on the MoneyTalks website(external link).
MoneyTalks is a free financial helpline supported by the NZ Government that can connect you with services in your community.
- Freephone 0800 345 123
- Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm.
- Saturday 10am to 2pm