Report a lost or found dog
Lost your dog
To check if your dog is with the Council you can visit the dog shelter at 10 Metro Place, Bromley, Monday to Friday 1pm to 5.30pm and Saturdays 11am to 1pm (closed Sundays and public holidays).
If you have lost your dog, you can also try:
Found dogs are held at the Council's animal shelter and are displayed in a photo gallery on this page. Select an image for more information about each dog. If no images are displayed then there are no dogs currently available.
Every dog that arrives at the Council's animal shelter goes through the following process:
- Scanned for a microchip implant
- If a microchip implant is found and this number is registered on a New Zealand microchip database, the Council will contact the identified owner and try to reunite them with the dog. For this reason, any change of details including the dog owner's name, change of address for the owner or the dog, phone number or a new owner must be notified to the Council by phoning (03) 941 8999. Or by filling out the update notification form on our website.
- If a found dog cannot be identified by either a microchip implant or registration tag, the Council must impound the dog.
- All impounded dogs will be posted on the Council web pages and the Council's Facebook page.
- The law requires all impounded dogs to be held for at least seven days while the Council attempts to contact the dog owner, or the owner contacts the Council about the dog.
- After the seventh day, if the dog owner has not claimed the dog, the Council assumes legal responsibility and ownership of the dog.
- If an impounded dog is sick or injured, the Council will immediately seek veterinary advice.
- Owners of claimed dogs are required to pay registration and impounding fees including food.
The Council’s animal shelter ensures lost and found animals receive sufficient care and welfare during their stay.