Okains Bay Cemetery opened in 1869 and is still open for casket and ash burials.
It is in a rural location, surrounded by paddocks, giving a strong feeling of openness. Over half the cemetery is fenced off and is currently grazed.
The cemetery has strong community associations and is maintained by the local community, the local parish and the Okains Bay Cemetery Board. The cemetery land is owned by the Crown. Investigations are currently underway to legalise the management of the cemetery by the appointment of local trustees.
The plots are laid out with double rows back to back facing north east or south west. Some of the older graves at the back of the cemetery are arranged at a different angle with no clear order to the paths.
The cemetery has a variety of graves/ headstones from Victorian / Edwardian styles with plots covered or kerbed to memorial styles.