Conditions for the use of facilities and or grounds of the Christchurch Botanic Gardens apply to wedding and civil union ceremonies and photos:
- No vehicles are permitted. Walking access only.
- No amplified sound or music (unless authorisation is sought and approval given).
- All ceremonies are limited to six chairs and a small signing table only.
- No decorations, balloons, rice, birdseed or confetti are allowed.
- All people (includes photographers) must keep to the pathways and lawn areas and must not stand on or among any of the plant collections.
- Items must not be attached to trees, buildings or other fixed structures.
- Marquees and other structures (including free standing umbrellas) are not permitted.
- No photographs are to be taken in the Conservatories, the Central Rose Garden or other sites in the Gardens which have been booked for other wedding ceremonies.
- Council by-laws apply across the Botanic Gardens under all conditions.
No refunds unless adverse weather conditions prevent your ceremony taking place. Under these circumstances, you must contact the Visitor Centre Duty Manager within 24hrs of your booking time. Ph: (03) 941 7592 or email email@example.com
A fee of 10% will be charged to cover administration.
We advise all wedding and civil union ceremony and photo session parties to book alternative back-up wet weather venues.
Please note that as the Botanic Gardens is a public garden, no part may be hired exclusively. As a site hirer or user, the organiser should be aware that other non-related activities may be occurring in, or in close proximity to the booked area during your period of use.
Botanic Gardens staff aim for a high standard within the grounds. However, sometimes there may be maintenance work within or close by the areas booked.
The Christchurch City Council reserves the right to cancel any bookings due to circumstances beyond its control. In the event of severe weather conditions – particularly high winds, the Gardens may be closed at short notice.