A Christchurch tradition!
Featuring the spectacular Christchurch Symphony Orchestra, the Sparks 2019 programme ranges from traditional classics to modern day favourites with a few surprises in between.
This year’s event will see the CSO collaborate with kapa haka performers Te Ahikaaroa and fire entertainers Highly Flammable plus a number of exceptional local soloists and guest performers including Nomad, soul singer Sacha Vee and Pasifika drum group The East Side Drumline.
Sparks pre-show entertainment starts from 6pm with live music from guitarist Connor Hartley-Hall and indie folk band The Terrible Sons plus The Court Jesters will be roving through the crowd.
Pack a picnic, grab dinner from one of the food trucks at the event or visit the Night Noodle Markets, which are open from 1pm on the day. Sparks will conclude with an amazing fireworks display choreographed to the 1812 Overture at approximately 9.30pm.
If wet, Sparks will be postponed to Sunday 17 February in North Hagley Park.
It's advised that dogs do not attend this event.
- There are thousands of car parks available in the central city. Find one using our interactive map.
- A drop-off zone will be located on Park Terrace between Kilmore and Armagh Streets.
- The Botanic Gardens Armagh Street car park will be closed to incoming traffic from 3pm on the day of Sparks.
- Mobility parking will be available from 1pm on the day on Chester Street West, entry off Park Terrace or Cranmer Square. There will be an accessible seating area in front of the stage - please follow the signs.
- There will be cycle stands and scooter parking zones at Sparks. These will be situated near the roundabout over the Armagh Street Bridge and near the back of the event site (next to the Golf course).
Free bus home
- Catch a bus, scooter, walk, or get dropped to Sparks and get a free ride home on us!
- We’re providing 28 free buses to help get you home after Sparks. Buses will depart from Park Terrace and Harper Ave after Sparks and will leave once full, check out the map below to find your best route.
- Please note, these buses will not be making any drop-offs within the CBD.
|Buses departing from Harper Ave||Buses departing from Park Tce|