Take a special walk through Tūranga, your central library, when it opens its doors. The possibilities are endless with cutting-edge technology available for all, including virtual reality experiences, 3D printers, and New Zealand’s largest digital touch-screen, the Discovery Wall, as well as more than 180,000 books!
There will be two walk-through options for visitors over the opening weekend. The full tour will take you through all five floors of Tūranga and will take up to 45 minutes to complete. The second, shorter tour will cover the ground and first floors only and will take around 15 minutes to complete. Both tours will include stairs, if you are in a wheelchair or have mobility issues, please advise staff when you arrive.
Because we anticipate a lot of interest during the opening weekend, last entry time to complete the tours will be 7pm Friday and 4pm on Saturday and Sunday.
For the opening weekend, access to Tūranga will be from Cathedral Square only. Due to the expected high demand there will be a queue system in place with estimated queue times provided onsite. Please follow the directions of staff and signs.
On Friday and Saturday, The Breeze and More FM will be on-site to amp up the entertainment with special activities, giveaways and, of course, great music. Tūranga's very own Foundation café will be open and food trucks will be nearby to satisfy your cravings.
It’s going to be busy, so make sure to plan your visit ahead of time.
- The closest off-street car parks to Tūranga are 158 Hereford Street and 105 Worcester Street.
- Get an hour’s free parking at Christchurch Art Gallery or Lichfield Street car park buildings.
- There are four P120 mobility parking spaces immediately outside Tūranga, two on Gloucester Street and two on Colombo Street.
- Check out the central city car parking map.
- The Bus Interchange is located approximately 500 metres from Tūranga, a short walk of about 7 minutes.
- The Manchester Street Bus Stop is approximately 250 metres from Tūranga, a short walk of about 4 minutes.
- Plan your bus trip.(external link)
- Bike stands are located near the Gloucester Street entrance
- Additional cycle parking will be located in Cathedral Square. This area will be able to store cycles, scooters and mobility devices, however please take care and bring your own lock as we can’t take responsibility for lost or damaged items.
- Find your best cycle route.