In 2013, around two thirds (65%) of private occupied dwellings in Christchurch City were either owned by the usual resident(s) or held in a family trust by one of the residents, equating to 79,100 dwellings being owner-occupied. The remaining 35% of dwellings were not owned by the usual resident(s). The rate of ownership has steadily declined since 1991.
As home ownership rates have decreased over the last two decades, the number of Christchurch households paying rent to a private landlord has more than doubled between 1991 and 2013 (increasing from 14,800 to 30,800). Because the majority of rented dwellings are owned by private landlords, this has resulted in the proportion of renters who pay rent to a private landlord increasing from 63% to 83%.
In 1991, one quarter of all households renting their dwelling were making rent payments to Housing New Zealand. By 2013 this had decreased to 12%. Similarly, Christchurch City Council social housing captured a lower proportion of renter households in 2013 than at any time since 1991.