Christchurch City Council, working with the New Brighton community, launched this design competition to seek design ideas for the construction of five small-scale, playful installations – named 'Tiny Huts'.
The purpose of the Tiny Huts in New Brighton is to:
- Provide a draw card – a key attraction for Christchurch residents and visitors to New Brighton.
- Showcase New Brighton as an exciting destination with a point of difference.
- Support the creativity of the New Brighton community.
- Connect the existing places and spaces of New Brighton (i.e. Mall, Pier, and Library).
- Provide spaces and activities that cater for local needs and interests.
The Tiny Huts aim to show how small temporary spaces can bring people together, foster a sense of place, support local businesses and create enthusiasm and excitement for New Brighton residents and visitors.