Guidance for obtaining a building consent if your project includes a single stand-alone dwelling or an accessory building such as a garage, carport, gazebo, shed, deck or retaining wall.

Most types of building work require a building consent, however, there are some types of building work that is considered low-risk so are exempt from requiring a building consent.

Schedule 1 of the Building Act(external link) describes the building work that is exempt from requiring a building consent. The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment has a guide on work that does not require a building consent(external link).

Please also refer to exemptions from building consent for information on obtaining a discretionary exemption from Council.

Even if it is exempt, all building work must comply with the building code and be carried out in accordance with other relevant legislation.

Sometimes you may not need building consent but still require resource consent.

We recommend:

  • engaging a professional to help with design work, drawings, specifications and documentation.
  • finding out early in your project planning if you also need to apply for resource consent.
  • requesting a pre-application meeting before you draw up your final plans. This will help you understand what you need to do, including finding out if you need resource consent and what documents you need to supply. This could save you time and money.
  • using the Eco-design advice service. Eco Design Advisors provide free, independent, expert advice on new home design and renovation. Advice is available for homeowners, home designers, builders and industry professionals.

You may also need to fill out other forms to show us what you’re doing as specified on the application form or check sheet.

See applying for building consent for information on how to complete and submit your application.

Sections 71-74 of the Building Act 2004 are concerned with building on land which is subject to a range of natural hazards, such as flooding, slippage, erosion.

There are risks in building on land subject to a natural hazard for both the owner and the Council.

Refer to building on land subject to a natural hazard for more information.