If you need to demolish, remove or relocate a building you may require building or resource consents.

You require a building consent to:

  • Demolish or remove a building if it is attached to another building or is over three storeys in height (refer to exemptions under the Building Act - Schedule 1(external link) if this applies to your situation)
  • Relocate a building to a new site.

You will also require resource consent to:

  • Remove or demolish a listed heritage building.
  • Relocate a building over 30 square metres to any zone within the Christchurch City Plan.
  • Relocate any building to a zone within the Banks Peninsula Proposed District Plan.

If you require a building consent complete and submit(external link) the following application form and check sheet:

You may also need to fill out additional forms as specified on the application form or check sheet.


Refer to the Building Consents Fee Schedule.

Other useful information