Types of projects

Requirements for specific building projects that you may need to get a building consent for.

Single residential dwelling and accessory buildings

Guidance for gaining building consent if your project includes: a single stand-alone dwelling; an accessory building such as a garage, car port, gazebo or shed; a deck or retaining wall.

Multi-residential, industrial, commercial building

Guidance when obtaining a building consent for a commercial, public or multi-residential building.

Residential demolition, removal and relocation

If you need to demolish, remove or relocate a building you may require building or resource consents.

Building on land subject to a natural hazard

Sections 7 and 71-74 of the Building Act 2004 are concerned with building on land subject to a range of natural hazards, like flooding, slippage and erosion.

Temporary business accommodation

If you are building a temporary business accommodation unit you are likely to have to apply for a building consent.

Alternative accommodation

Information about building consent requirements to convert a residential garage or building into a habitable space (sleepout).

Change of use

An owner who intends to change the use of a building must give notice in writing to the Council.