The Mayor's Welfare Fund provides assistance to families and individuals in our community who are in extreme financial distress. The fund works with other helping agencies in the city and can provide assistance on a one-off basis where real need can be shown.
The fund is a last resort measure when people have exhausted other appropriate sources such as Work and Income New Zealand (WINZ).
The Mayor's Welfare Fund is only available for Christchurch City residents.
As every applicant's circumstances are unique and the criteria for different categories of assistance varies. Applicants need to contact the Mayor's Welfare Administrator.
The Fund has a limited amount of funding categories with which it can assist applicants and criteria on levels of assistance apply.
How to apply
Applicants need to make an appointment to see the Mayor's Welfare Administrator.
Appointments are avaliable Monday - Friday, these can be scheduled by calling (03) 941 8999
It is essential that prospective clients bring with them the following information:
- A form of identification, i.e. Drivers Licence or Community Services Card.
- A letter from Work and Income NZ stating that assistance is available or unavailable.
- A current bank statement stating the applicants name (this is used as proof of financial hardship).
- If in employmentt a copy of your last two pay slips.
- Evidence of need i.e. invoice for goods, electricity bill, letter from landlord etc
The Mayor's Welfare Fund can only assist once in a twelve month period.
For appointments to meet with The Mayor's Welfare Administrator, Phone: (03) 941 8999 . The Mayor's Welfare Fund is located at the Civic Offices, 53 Hereford Street.