Please Wait...
progress bar
Last reviewed: Wed, 20 Jul 2011

Frequently asked questions

Can I sell/promote goods on the street?

You may sell goods on the street under certain circumstances but only with the consent of the Council and in accordance with the Public Places Bylaw and the Trading and Events in Public Places Policy 2010 conditions as set by the Council.

Do I need to obtain a hawker's permit?

A hawker includes a pedlar or any person with goods, wares or merchandise for sale that are either carried or taken around by the seller and offered unsolicited to the public in a public place. It does not include stallholders or people with mobile or travelling shops.

The Christchurch City Council Public Places Bylaw 2008 regulates commercial activities in a public place. Hawkers who go door to door to sell on private property do not operate in a public place, and thus do not fall within the requirements of the Public Places Bylaw 2008.

A permit is required for hawking in any public place (outside the not-permitted areas), with applications considered on an individual basis. The conditions for Hawkers and the areas where this activity is permitted will be set out in an approval letter after consideration of the application.

Hawkers are not permitted within:

  • The central city area bounded by and including Moorhouse Avenue, Fitzgerald Avenue, Bealey Avenue, Park Terrace, Rolleston Avenue and Antigua Street (to Moorhouse Ave).
  • The Akaroa Business District being Rue Lavaud, Beach Road from Rue Benoit to the Akaroa Lighthouse, and Church Street.

However if a hawker is selling food, a health licence may be required.

Complaints relating to hawkers should be referred to:

What is a food safety programme?

A food safety programme (FSP) sets out the process by which the safety of the food product can be assured.

What time can commercial construction work start/finish?

There is a New Zealand Standard NZS 6803:1999 which specifies noise levels and times certain activities can be undertaken. Generally work starting between 7am–7.30am, Monday to Saturday and finishing at 6pm is acceptable providing the noise levels in the standard are met for the living zones.

Commercial construction should not be carried out on Sundays. This ruling relates only to a commercial tradesmen as opposed to a home handyman who is doing some work on his own property.


Authorising Unit: Inspections and Enforcement

Last reviewed: Wednesday, 20 July 2011

Next review: Friday, 20 January 2012

Keywords: licence