There are many areas around Christchurch and on our beaches where dogs can be walked or exercised.
Map of dog-friendly spaces
Legislation requires dog owners to ensure that their dogs receive adequate exercise.
All dogs need and love to exercise, so it is important that dog owners know where to exercise their dogs safely in their local neighbourhoods.
- You must carry plastic bags and a leash with you at all times.
- Always pick up and hygienically dispose of dog fouling.
- You can exercise your dog on any beach, reserve or park within Christchurch district that is not a leashed or prohibited area.
- Be aware that from 1 November to 31 March each year specified swimming beaches become prohibited to dogs between 9am and 7pm (unless your dog is on a leash and you are passing directly through the area).
- If not on a leash in any public place, your dog must be under effective control – this means you must be aware of where the dog is and what it is doing, ensure the dog is responsive to commands; and prevent it from creating a nuisance to people, other dogs, domestic animals or any other wildlife.
- Having your dog under effective control is as much about the safety of your dog as it is about the safety of others.
- Keep a safe distance from small children before letting the dog off a leash.
- Dogs are not allowed in (or within one metre of) playgrounds, paddling pools and skate parks.
- Exercise with caution in areas where there are sports groups or families.
- Dogs must be on a leash whilst walking on roads or footpaths, which includes car parks, state highways, and areas around boat ramps or slipways.
Any breach of dog control rules can result in the issue of Infringement offence notices with fixed fees ranging from $100 to $750.
Please respect the rights of others using public places and do not let your dog disturb or scare people.
Remember to look for any signs that indicate dog restrictions, such as leashed or prohibited areas.
Tip: As well as your own water, take some water along for your dog to drink when you’re are exercising.