Please Wait...
progress bar
Last reviewed: Tue, 13 Jul 2010

Report a problem dog

If you have a complaint against a nuisance or problem dog, you can report it to the Council’s Animal Management team by phoning (03) 941 8999 or emailing

Report a barking dog

A mischievous dog running through the snow.

Nuisance barking can be a grey area – what is excessive to one person may not be to another. Under the Dog Control Act 1996, barking is classified as a nuisance when it is persistent and loud.

If you find yourself annoyed by the persistent and loud barking or howling of a dog, please report the dog to Animal Management by phoning (03) 941 8999 or emailing .

You will be asked to complete a Recording Sheet noting the date, time and length of each barking incident. We will need to identify the type of barking heard, to establish if the animal is distressed or a nuisance.

With the information the complainant provides, we may:

  • Send an officer on-site.
  • Notify the owner that their dog has a complaint against it.
  • Supply the complainant with a feedback form.

If there is no improvement after Animal Management’s investigation and a problem is reported against the same dog, the Council will take further steps to resolve the problem.

Report an aggressive dog

If you are the victim of or witness to an attack by an aggressive or dangerous dog, or you are the dog’s owner, you should advise Animal Management of the incident as soon as it occurs.

You will be asked for the following details:

  • your name, address and phone number
  • the address of the dog you are reporting
  • the date, time and location of the attack
  • details of the dog – breed, colour, sex and any distinguishing features
  • details of the incident and if you are prepared to make an official police statement.

The names and addresses of the dog owner and any witnesses should be obtained. If the dog owner leaves the incident without supplying these details, you should note their appearance and vehicle registration number.

The address of the offending dog is important for an Animal Management Officer to make contact. If the owner is not present, the offending dog may be able to be followed to obtain its home address. Follow the dog at a reasonable distance – do not chase or call it.

All details, medical reports and marked clothing from the attack should be kept as evidence to build a case against the owner.

Contact us

Animal Management
Inspections and Enforcement Unit
Phone: (03) 941 8999


Authorising Unit: Inspections and Enforcement

Last reviewed: Tuesday, 13 July 2010

Next review: Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Keywords: dogs