A marble sculptured statue of Captain James Cook set on a granite base, two bronze plaques are set into the base.
The statue commemorates Cook's three voyages around New Zealand and was donated by bookmaker and philanthropist Matthew Barnett (1861 to 1935).
Artist William Tretheway was chosen as the sculptor and he carved the statue from a 12-tonne block of Carrara marble.
Unveiled in 1932, the statue was originally located at the junction of Colombo and Victoria Streets until it was moved in 1989 to its current, more central location.
There is more information about the statues in Christchurch on the Christchurch City Libraries website(external link).