Operating your mobile food truck, caravan, cart or stall is the same as operating any food business. You must follow the requirements of your registration and the Food Act 2014.

Food safety

You are required to sell food that is safe and suitable. When you are preparing and selling food you must follow the requirements of your Food Control Plan or your National Programme.

Unsure of what you need to do? Check out the New Zealand Food Safety website(external link) to determine what type of registration you need.

If you are trading outside of the Christchurch City Council area you will need to have a third party verifier(external link) confirmed as part of your application for registration.

Food sale location

Registration to sell food is not permission to sell anywhere you wish. You will need the permission of the landowner, event organiser or market operator and to follow any rules for that location, from town planning or bylaws that apply to the location you want to use.

A new rule means that you cannot operate your food truck from the same privately owned site for more than 10 hours a week.  The reason for this rule is to help support the regeneration of permanent businesses in the Central City, now we are through the immediate Earthquake recovery phase.

There are a couple of options to keep you within the rules:

  • You can limit your operations to 10 hours or less per week per privately owned site (provided this site is not within a residential area).
  • You can apply for a resource consent to exceed the 10 hour limit per privately owned site. We recommend you speak to a consultant planner to help you prepare your application.
  • You may be able to operate your food truck from a public site for more than 10 hours per week without resource consent. If you want to do this you’ll need a permit that allows you to trade in a public place (Public Places Bylaw 2008). You can find out more about this on the permit to trade in public places page.

If you’d like some help to work out if a resource consent is needed to operate your food truck from any particular site, please contact our Duty Planner on 941 8999.