If you are building a temporary business accommodation unit you are likely to have to apply for a building consent.

Building consent to build temporary business accommodation

Generally if you are considering converting a structure such as a container as temporary accommodation for a business you must obtain a building consent.

Under the Building Act, structures such as containers or portable buildings that have been converted to house a temporary business are defined as buildings. Getting a building consent and meeting the building code means you will have taken the right steps.

Your converted building will also need to be inspected and get a code compliance certificate. Depending on the business that is planned for your temporary building, owners will need to meet all of the other conditions of relevant legislation and bylaws for the industry such as Health and Alcohol licensing for cafes and bars.

Please note: Any building conversion has to comply with the building code. Non-compliance issues that sometimes occur involve the fire and the disability access requirements, mainly with temporary cafes, coffee bars, fish and chip shop, lunch bars, etc.

Image of building considerations for a temporary business building

Converted container showing examples of things you may have to consider when applying for building consent.

Exemption from building consent

In some circumstances, where the Council can be assured of compliance, we may consider exempting you from the requirement to obtain a building consent. Refer to exemption from building consent.

Resource consent to build temporary business accommodation

If you are proposing a new business you may need a resource consent. A pre-application meeting will help you find this out.

If you want to relocate an existing business which has been displaced by the earthquakes please check if you are eligible for temporary accommodation approval under the earthquake recovery legislation.