We aim to be browser and operating system neutral. Due to differences between browsers our site may render slightly differently on different platforms but the differences should be cosmetic. We would be disappointed if our site doesn’t work with your browser, but we haven’t been able to test every combination of browser and operating system. So please let us know if you cannot access a feature of our site.
We encourage you to keep your browser up-to-date; not only to provide you with the best possible experience on our site and others but, more importantly, so that you can enjoy a safe browsing experience. An up-to-date browser will significantly reduce the chances of your computer becoming infected with malware and the possibility of your personal information being compromised.
Update on PDFs on Google Chrome
Chrome has its own portable document viewer which may not work with some PDFs.
If you are unable to view a Council PDF on Chrome, please disable PDF viewer in your Chrome browser.
To disable PDF viewer:
If you use a modern browser, it probably has a ‘magnify’ function to make reading the page easier.
- Internet Explorer from v5.5: Select the 'View' menu, then 'Text Size', and then your chosen size (or if you have a mouse wheel simply hold down CTRL and roll the mouse wheel to alter the text size).
Firefox from v1.0: Select the 'View' menu, then 'Text Size', and then select decrease or increase. Alternatively select CTRL + + or CTRL + -. If you have a mouse wheel, simply hold down CTRL and roll the mouse wheel to alter the text size.
- Opera from v7.0: Select the 'View' menu, then 'Zoom', and then select the percentage increase or decrease you require. Alternatively select CTRL + + or CTRL + -.
Safari from v1.2 (Mac): Select the 'View' menu, then 'Make Text Bigger' or 'Make Text Smaller'. Alternatively select Command-plus sign (+) or Command-minus sign (-)
- Google Chrome from v1.0: Select the page menu at the top right, then 'Zoom', then 'Larger' or 'Smaller'. Alternatively select CTRL + + or CTRL + -. If you have a mouse wheel, simply hold down CTRL and roll the mouse wheel to alter the text size.
But, just in case your browser doesn’t do that, or you prefer our universal method, we have built it into the site for you. In the top right of the window you will find the 'Text size' function. Just click on the larger ‘A’ to make things bigger, and the smaller ‘A’ to make things smaller again. There are five different text sizes to choose from.
Portable Document Format (PDF) documents
This site includes links to PDF documents. To read a PDF document you need to have the Adobe Acrobat reader installed.
Download a Portable Document Format (PDF) reader from the Adobe website.
If you have any difficulty displaying a PDF document, please contact us for a paper copy.
This site includes links to Word documents. If you have any difficulty opening or displaying a Word document, please contact us for a paper copy.
Colours and fonts
We have designed our site to be easy to read. However, if you have difficulty with any colours or fonts that we have chosen, we suggest turning these off, disabling style sheets in your browser or using your own style sheet. If your browser supports this type of change, it can be found as follows:
- IE: Tools > Internet options > Accessibility
- Firefox: View > Page style > No style
- Opera: View > Style > User mode
- Safari (Mac): No option available
- Google Chrome: No option available
We have enabled our site to work with BrowseAloud – a tool which will read our website pages to you through your PC or Mac speaker.
We have subscribed to this service and in order to make use of this feature, you will need to download and install the free BrowseAloud client software (PC or Mac) from: http://www.browsealoud.com/page.asp?pg_id=80367
If you want to share your experiences on our site with us or make a suggestion then please use our feedback form.